Historic Markers Across Georgia



City Hall & Old Capitol



Marker ID: GHM 011-2
Location: At City Hall, Cotton Ave and First St, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.177    W 083° 37.938
  32.836283    -83.6323
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7E01
City Hall & Old Capitol Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Macon City Hall, built in 1837 for the Monroe Railroad & Banking Co and since remodeled, served from Nov. 18, 1864 till March 11, 1865 as temporary Capitol of Ga. Here Gov. Brown had his office and convened the last session of the Ga. legislature under the Confederacy. Here the March session of the Supreme Court was held in 1865. The building was also used as a military hospital from the battle of Chickamauga in 1863 until the close of the war. A picket on guard at the portico was shot when Fed. Gen. Wilson entered the city on April 20, 1865.

GHM 011-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Macon City Hall & Old Capitol
City Hall & Old Capitol
Photo by Ken Moser



 

011-2