Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate States Central Laboratory



Marker ID: GHM 011-24
Location: 3051 Vineville Ave at Vista Circle, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.979    W 083° 40.397
  32.84965    -83.67328
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3EF
Confederate States Central Laboratory  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

"Approx. 100 feet south of the this point stood the Confederate States Central Laboratory. Erected between 1862 and 1865, this laboratory-factory complex spread over 145 acres purchased December 2, 1862. It was intended as permanent facility and center of Confederate States Ordinance testing and production. Its main building was a two storied brick and granite structure 600 feet long. Superintendent of all C.S. Laboratories Lt. Col. John W. Mallet selected this site and had his headquarters here. Machinery and equipment for the facitlity were fabricated in Macon, Atlanta, Richmond and Leeds, England. After contributing much to the southern war effort, the site was surrendered on April 20, 1865, to Union Gen. James H. Wilson. A law suit followed over the title of the property which was decided by the U.S. Supreme Court in the ´Titus v. U.S.´ (1874), a dedcision which reconized the existence of the Confederate States."

GHM 011-24 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1994



 

 

011-24