Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bibb County



Marker ID: GHM 011-9
Location: Courthouse on Mulberry St in Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.294    W 083° 37.678
  32.838233    -83.62796
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNQFP
Bibb County  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Bibb County was created by Act of Dec. 9, 1822 from Houston, Jones, Monroe and Twiggs Counties. It was named for Dr. William Wyatt Bibb (1781-1820) of Elbert County. Dr. Bibb, physician, legislator, Congressman, Senator, was appointed Governor of the Territory of Alabama by Pres. Madison and was the first elective Governor of the State of Alabama. First officers of Bibb County, commissioned Feb. 12, 1823, were: Nicholas W. Wells, Clerk of Superior Court; James Flewellen, Clerk of Inferior Court; John B. Grace, Surveyor. Isaac Philips was made Surveyor July 16, 1823. John H. Hudson was commissioned Sheriff, Jan. 9, 1824.

GHM 011-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956




Bibb County
Photo by Tim Walleker



 

011-9