Historic Markers Across Georgia



Wesleyan College



Marker ID: UMC 
Location: On Post Office lawn, College Street at Georgia Ave, Macon
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.435    W 083° 38.301
  32.84058333    -83.63835
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Wesleyan College Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Wesleyan College
First College Chartered to Grant Degrees to Women

December 23, 1836



Led by the Methodist Community, a citizens' committee in the city of Macon founded Wesleyan as the first baccalaureate college for women. The Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church accepted the college from the committee, appointed a Board of Trustees with Bishop James O. Andrew as Chairman, and named the Reverend George Foster Pierce as first President.

From that beginning, Wesleyan has maintained close ties with the church. Bishops, ministers, laywomen and laymen have served as trustees and faculty. Trustees, presidents, and faculty have in turn served as ministers and bishops. Alumnae of the college have enriched the church as members, musicians, teachers, missionaries, diaconal ministers, and clergy.

United Methodist Historic Site No. 226

Erected by: Shrine General Conference The United Methodist Church, 1992




Wesleyan College
Photo by David Seibert



 

011-A16