Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's Raid



Marker ID:  
Location: Ocmulgee National Park Rd 0.2 miles south of Emery Hwy, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.482    W 083° 36.127
  32.84136666    -83.60211666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's Raid


During the Civil War, Macon, Georgia was a thriving city, serving as a major transportation, medical, and manufacturing center. In 1864, Federal officers were being held at Camp Oglethorpe, a prisoner of war camp. Two battles were fought in Macon; both battles took place here at the Dunlap farm. The first battle occurred on July 30, 1864 and is known as the Battle of Dunlap Hill. The second battle occurred on November 20-21, 1864 and is known as the Battle of Walnut Creek. Never taken by force, the city surrendered to Federal forces on April 20, 1865, nine days after General Robert E. Lee's surrender.

In the summer of 1864, during the siege of Atlanta, Union Cavalry General George Stoneman conducted a raid on Central Georgia cutting the Confederate supply line and the Central Georgia railroad. Stoneman and his troops destroyed everything in their path on the way to Macon. Stoneman's personal mission was to destroy the city and free Union officers imprisoned at Camp Oglethorpe. Fighting took place on July 30th when Stoneman ordered the city bombarded and his troops to advance. One shell that was fired struck the home of Judge Asa Holt, now known as the Cannonball House. Confederate troops under General Howell Cobb formed in East Macon and repelled the Union attack. Unable to take the city, Stoneman retreated, and was stopped in an all day battle at Sunshine Church, near Clinton. There, Stoneman was captured and taken to Camp Oglethorpe becoming the highest ranking Union officer to be captured in the war. After the battle, the Confederates constructed a U-shaped earthwork in the yard of the Dunlap house to protect the Walnut Creek railroad trestle from future attacks. During November 20-21, 1864 the earthwork served its purpose during the battle of Walnut Creek. Today, the earthwork is still visible.




2013



 

 

011-A19