Historic Markers Across Georgia



M.W. Grand Lodge of Georgia, Free and Accepted Mas



Marker ID: F. & A. M. 
Location: On front of Grand Chapter Bldg, Mulberry & New Sts, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.402    W 083° 37.864
  32.840033    -83.63106
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM7EP0
M.W. Grand Lodge of Georgia, Free and Accepted Mas Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The first Masonic meeting in Georgia was held in 1734 at the town of Sunbury in what is now Liberty County with Gernal James Edward Oglethorpe serving s Worshipful Master. This was just seventeen years after the formation of the Grand Lodge of England , on February 21, 1734. ´The Lodge at Savannah in Ye province of Georgia,´ which is now Solomon´s Lodge of Georgia was organized in 1755 by virtue of the authority granted to Roger Lacey, First Provincial Grand MAster in Georgia, by Lord Viscount Weymouth, Grand Master of England. The present Grand Lodge, a continuation of the one formed in 1735 under English regulations dated from December 16, 1786. General Samuel Elbert, Revolutionary War hero, was the last Provincial Grand Master of Georgia.

This marker placed A.D. 1959 -- A.L. 5959 BY --
The Educational and Historical Commission of the Grand Lodge of Georgia F. & A. M.




M.W. Grand Lodge of Georgia, Free and Accepted Mas
Photo by Ken Moser



 

011-A9