Historic Markers Across Georgia



The First Baptist Church of Christ at Macon



Marker ID: GHS 11-1
Location: 511 High Place, Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.248    W 083° 38.035
  32.837466    -83.63391
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7DRT
The First Baptist Church of Christ at Macon Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This church was founded in 1826 as the city´s first Baptist congregation. It was first located at the site of the present Bibb County Courthouse. The fourth and final move, to this site, occurred in 1883 and the current building was dedicated in 1887. The church was instrumental in the formation of several local congregations including Mabel White Memorial Baptist Church. In 1903 the congregation funded construction of the first Southern Baptist hospital in a foreign land, the Warren Memorial hospital in Hwanghien, China. It was named for Dr. Ebenezer W. Warren, pastor here in 1860-71 and 1879-91.

2001.15 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and the First Baptist Church of Christ at Macon 11-1



First Baptist Church of Christ at Macon
The First Baptist Church of Christ at Macon
Photo by Ken Moser



 

011-HS1