Historic Markers Across Georgia



Central City/Georgia Baptist College



Marker ID: GHS 11-2
Location: on Shurling Avenue just west of Gray Highway (U.S. 129) , Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 51.583    W 83° 36.967
  32.85971666    -83.22888
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Central City/Georgia Baptist College  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Founded in October 1899 by the Reverend E.K. Love under the auspices of the Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia, Central City College served as a co-educational institution of learning for African-American students at both the high school and college levels. The College represented a pioneering effort at African-American education during the Jim Crow era. Beset by financial woes, Central City College lost its property to foreclosure in 1937 to white businessman and philanthropist James H. Porter, who in turn placed the school´s assets under the control of the Georgia Baptist Missionary and Educational Convention. By now called Georgia Baptist College, the institution continued fundraising efforts, including musical events with segregated seating, but failed to save the school, which finally closed in 1956.

2003-13 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, the Baptist Ministers Union of Macon and Vicinity, the Middle Georgia African-American Historical Association, the General Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia, and the Georgia Baptist Missionary and Educational Convention 11-2



 

 

011-HS2