Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Joseph's Catholic Church



Marker ID: GHS 11-4
Location: 830 Poplar St., Macon, GA
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 32° 50.249    W 083° 38.018
  32.837491    -83.633641
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7DZY
St. Joseph's Catholic Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The history of Roman Catholicism in Macon dates to a visit in 1829 by Bishop John England of the Diocese of Charleston and the subsequent migration of Irish Catholic families in the 1830s. In 1841, Macon´s Catholics received their first pastor, Father James Graham. A succession of buildings and sites was purchased and used by Macon´s Catholics during the nineteenth century, until the construction of St. Joseph´s Catholic Church at this location from 1889-1903. This Gothic Revival structure, designed by Brother Cornelius Otten, features a domed cupola, flying buttresses, stained-glass windows from Bavaria , and a high altar of Carrara marble.

2005.13 Georgia Historical Society 011-4



St. Joseph's Catholic Church
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

011-HS4