Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bleckley County



Marker ID: GHM 012-1
Location: Courthouse in Cochran, on Bus US 23
County: Bleckley
Coordinates: N 32° 23.237    W 083° 21.324
  32.387283    -83.3554
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM82TG
Bleckley County  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by an act of the Georgia Legislature July 30, 1912, is named for Chief Justice Logan E. Bleckley, of the Georgia Supreme Court, one of the greatest jurists in the history of this State. Born in Rabun County in 1827, he served as a Confederate soldier, resumed his law practice after the war, was an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court 1875-1880 and Chief Justice 1887-1894. Among the first Bleckley County officers were Sheriff J.A. Floyd, Superior Court Clerk J.T. Deese, Ordinary W.M. Wynne, Tax Receiver Jim Holland, Tax Collector W.D. Porter, Treasurer J.R. Taylor, Coroner Morgan Barrs, Surveyor W.H. Berryhill, Comm. of Roads and Revenue J.B. Hinson.

GHM 012-1 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1985



Bleckley County Courthouse
Bleckley County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

012-1