Historic Markers Across Georgia



Longstreet Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 012-2
Location: Longstreet Church Rd 2 mi from US 23 jct 6 mi N of Cochran, GA
County: Bleckley
Coordinates: N 32° 29.03    W 083° 22.448
  32.483833    -83.37413
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM82T1
Longstreet Methodist Church  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Longstreet Methodist Church was organized around 1812 and the original building is still in use. Land for the church was given by Charles Walker, one of the five sons of George Walker, Revolutionary soldier and early settler. The sons built on a three and a half mile stretch of the ´Federal Stage and Post Road´ that became known as Longstreet. Two acres of land were given by Mr. Walker, one for the church and one for the school. The school was abandoned and its land reverted to the church. There is an old cemetery in the rear of the church.

GHM 012-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1956




Longstreet Methodist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

012-2