Historic Markers Across Georgia



Evergreen Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 012-3
Location: US 23 6 miles north of Cochran, GA
County: Bleckley
Coordinates: N 32° 27.177    W 083° 22.873
  32.45295    -83.38121
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM82T6
Evergreen Baptist Church  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Evergreen Baptist Church, built in 1844, was split off from old Mt. Horeb Baptist Church, constituted October 5, 1809, which stood at or near the site of the Centenary Methodist Church. On February 14, 1844, the congregation and pastor found themselves locked out of the church by a Brother Burkhalter. Most of the congregation, considered ´Mission-minded´, formed a new church, called it ´Evergreen´ and constructed this building in 1844. In slavery days Negroes walked for miles to attend its services. In 1864 Negro members outnumbered White, 130, to 86.

GHM 012-3 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1955



Evergreen Baptist Church
Evergreen Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

012-3