Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mount Zion Camp Ground



Marker ID: GHM 014-3
Location: Ga 76 1 mile north of Morven, GA
County: Brooks
Coordinates: N 30° 57.621    W 083° 29.957
  30.96035    -83.49928
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBWAZ
Mount Zion Camp Ground  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The first Camp Meeting was held on this site in 1828 by a "few scattered Methodists" before any Methodist Church in the area was organized. William Hendry, William Blair and Hamilton W. Sharpe, as a committee, selected the site. Rev. Adam Wyrick was the first visiting preacher. In 1831 Sion and Enoch Hall deeded the land on which the Camp Ground stood to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Housed first in a brush~arbor, the weeklong meetings were held without interruption until 1881. Then the camp meetings ceased and the nearby church was built. Meetings were practically continuous each day from sunrise until after "candle ~ lighting."

GHM 014-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

014-3