Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Coffee Road



Marker ID: GHM 014-5
Location: Ga 333 about 10 miles north of Quitman, GA
County: Brooks
Coordinates: N 30° 55.045    W 083° 34.711
  30.917416    -83.57851
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNQFG
Old Coffee Road  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The Old Coffee Road, earliest vehicular and postal route of this area, crossed here, leading southwestward from the Ocmulgee River via today´s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick and Thomasville to the Florida Line. The thoroughfare was opened by direction of the State in 1823 under the superintendence of General John Coffee and Thomas Swain. As a pioneer way this route played a significant part in the settlement and development of Southwest Georgia. Much of the former course remains in daily use.

GHM 014-5 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

014-5