Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bethel Primitive Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 014-8
Location: 1.5 miles south of Ga 122 at Sand Hill (west of Barney)
County: Brooks
Coordinates: N 30° 58.507    W 083° 37.893
  30.975116    -83.63155
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBWAQ
Bethel Primitive Baptist Church  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Bethel Primitive Baptist Church, the second Baptist Church to be organized in the area of old Lowndes County, was constituted September 2, 1826. The organizing Presbytery were: Elders Benjamin Manning. Matthew Albritton and Henry Melton, with Deacon William A. Knight. Charter members of Bethel Church were: Elder Melus Thigpen and his wife, Sarah; Archibald Strickland and his wife, Luander; Henry C. Tucker and his wife, Sarah.

Elder Thigpen served as supply pastor until 1828, when the Rev. Matthew Albritton was called to the charge of Bethel Church.

GHM 014-8 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



Bethel Primitive Baptist Church
Bethel Primitive Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

014-8