Historic Markers Across Georgia



Barney Colored Elementary School



Marker ID: GHS 14-
Location: 426 First Avenue in Barney, GA
County: Brooks
Coordinates: N 30° 47.086    W 083° 33.659
  30.78476666    -83.56098333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBW9Z
Barney Colored Elementary School Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Barney Colored Elementary School was part of the Rosenwald school building program that matched funds from philanthropist Julius Rosenwald with community donations to build rural Southern schools during the era of segregation. An example of a "community school plan," it included large banks of windows, an industrial room, and sliding partition doors to accommodate larger school and community gatherings. This combined a Progressive-era design emphasis on lighting and ventilation with educator Booker T. Washington's focus on community development and industrial training for rural African Americans. The school operated from 1933 to 1959, serving first through sixth grade students. One of six Rosenwald projects in Brooks County, Barney served as a feeder school to the Morven Rosenwald School. In 2006, the Morven Rosenwald Alumni Association, Inc. acquired the building and preserved it for community use.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Brooks County Board of Commissioners, and the Morven Rosenwald Alumni Association, Inc.




Barney Colored Elementary School
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

More Information:
Wikipedia - Rosenwald School
National Trust for Historic Preservation - Rosenwald Schools, A National Treasure
Wikipedia - Julius Rosenwald
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington

 

014-HS2