Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bryan County



Marker ID: GHM 015-1
Location: Courthouse in Pembroke
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 32° 08.010    W 081° 37.311
  32.1335    -81.62185
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1PCJ
Bryan County  Marker  



Text:

This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Jonathan Bryan, Revolutionary patriot and member of the Executive Council in 1777. The 'lost town´ of Hardwick on the Ogeechee River was the first temporary County Site. Laid out in 1755, it was named for Lord Hardwick, Lord Chancellor of England, a relative of the then Gov. Reynolds. Two Royal Governors recommended that it be the Capital of Georgia. An Act of 1797 designated a new County Site at Cross Roads, 2 miles from Ogeechee Bridge. The Site was later moved to Clyde and then Pembroke.

GHM 015-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 
Bryan County Courthouse
Bryan County


 

015-1