Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort McAllister-4.5 mi.



Marker ID: GHM 015-5A
Location: Intersection of Ga 144 and Ga 144 Spur, 5.4 mi E of US 17
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 53.402    W 081° 15.69
  31.890033    -81.2615
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM94V9
Fort McAllister-4.5 mi.  Marker  



Text:

East 4.5 miles, on Great Ogeechee River, Fort McAllister was built 1861-62 to guard the ´back door´ to Savannah. During 1862-63, it repulsed 7 attacks by armored vessels, some mounting 15-inch guns. Dec. 13, 1864, its small garrison of 230 Georgians was overwhelmed by Hazen´s Division, 15th Corps [US], which had marched via this road. Its fall opened the Ogeechee to Union vessels which, loaded with supplies for Gen. Sherman´s army, had been lying in Tybee Roads and Port Royal Sound. A wharf and depot were built at King´s Bridge (on US 17) from which these supplies were distributed to the invading forces.

GHM 015-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 195



 

Fort McAllister-4.5 mi.


 

015-5A