Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Argyle



Marker ID: GHM 015-9
Location: Ga 144, 4.2 miles west of junction with US 17
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 58.368    W 081° 22.626
  31.9728    -81.3771
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME2NA
Fort Argyle  Marker  



Text:

Near here, on the West bank of the Ogeechee River, Fort Argyle was built in 1733, to command one of the main passes by which enemy Indians had recently invaded South Carolina, and to give protection to the settlers of Savannah from anticipated raid by Spaniards from Florida.

The fort was named in honor of John, Duke of Argyle, friend and patron of James Edward Oglethorpe, and was garrisoned by Captain McPherson with a detachment of Rangers.

GHM 015-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

Fort Argyle


 

015-9