Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old City Jail



Marker ID:  
Location: Marker is at the intersection of W. Gibson St. and S. College St., Pembroke, GA
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 32° 8.062    W 081° 37.310
  32.13436666    -81.62183333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Old City Jail Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

Built in 1912, this structure was originally a simple one-room brick cube with barred windows an an armored door. It was used to house offenders for short periods for fighting, public drunkenness and similar minor offenses.

In 1928, the City of Pembroke purchased an 1897- vintage two-unit prefabrication cell from the old Bryan County Seat of Clyde, Georgia when that town was demolished to make way for the development of Camp Stewart by the U.S. Army. The iron cell was dismantled, shipped by wagon to Pembroke, and then reassembled inside the jail building. The improved jail remained in operation until the 1950s, when it was retired.

In 2003, the Old City Jail was restored as a museum by the Pembroke City Council with the guidance and assiatance of a committee of dedicated citizens:
Mariam Bush, Committe Chair
Audrey Marshall • Renee´ Houser • Evelyn Barone • Al Chassereau
Renovation by: M. Smith Construction • Purcell Heating and Air

This historic preservation project was funded by the Pembroke City Council with additional funding provided by a Local Assistance Grant from the Georgia Legislature.

2003 by Pembroke City Council.



Old City Jail
Old City Jail
Photo by Mike Stroud



 

015-A2