Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Located in front of the church at 16525 Bryan Neck Rd (SR 144), Richmond Hill, GA
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 52.266    W 081° 15.577
  31.8711    -81.25961666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME353
Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

Organized in 1869, this is the oldest African-American church congregation lower Bryan County. The first structure for the church, a prayer house, was built in 1870 on this site here the white Presbyterian church (Burnt Church). London Harris, a freeman and spiritual leader of the local black community, was one of the first organizers and its first pastor for this church. The church was renovated and enlarged with support from Henry Ford at the time the nearby Harbor school was built in 1939.

Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail



 

Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church

Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-C02