Historic Markers Across Georgia



Burnt Church Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: at the cemetery on Bryan Neck Rd. (GA 144), Richmond Hill, GA.
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 52.728    W 081° 15.695
  31.8788    -81.26158333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME357
Burnt Church Cemetery Marker  



Text:

Near this site in 1830 the Brian Neck Presbyterian Church was established, being the oldest organized congregation in Bryan County. The church served the numerous plantar families of lower Bryan, which had become one of the most productive agricultural sections of the South Atlantic coast. The Church burial ground was adjacent to the wood frame sanctuary. On these grounds are interred members of some of Bryan County's most prominent early families, including those of Clay, McAllister and Maxwell. The original church accidentally burned in 1882 and a new edifice was built in 1885 several miles east, near Keller.

Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail



 

Burnt Church Cemetery

Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-C03