Historic Markers Across Georgia



Community House



Marker ID:  
Location: In front of the Carter Funeral Home at 10512 Ford Avenue (GA 144) in Richmond Hill, GA.
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 56.500    W 081° 18.392
  31.94166666    -81.30653333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WME2FZ
Community House Marker  



Text:

Outside their expansive home on the Ogeechee River, this is the single most imposing structure built by Henry and Clara Ford during their sojourn in Richmond Hill from 1926 to 1951. Built by local labor in 1935 near the Ways Station School, the Community House served residents in the enhancement of their educational, social and cultural development. Cooking, home economics, sewing, dancing and other activities were taught at no cost to adults and children alike. Local social activities were held here, many attended by the Fords themselves.

Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail



 

Community House

Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-C04