Historic Markers Across Georgia



George Washington Carver School



Marker ID:  
Location: on Bryan Neck Road (Georgia Route 144), Richmond Hill, GA
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 52.3    W 081° 15.583
  31.87166666    -81.25971666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
George Washington Carver School Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

On these grounds in 1939, Henry Ford built a school to serve the educational needs of the African-American children of lower Bryan County. Professor Herman Cooper was appointed as the Principal when the school opened later that year, originally with grades one through six. Ford named the school in honor of the prominent African-American educator and agriculturist from Tuskegee Institute, Dr. George Washington Carver. In March 1940 Dr. Carver attended the dedication ceremonies here for the new school named in his honor,



The building in the rear is the partially dismantled old gym from the George Washington Carver School.
George Washington Carver School
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-C07