Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ways Station



Marker ID:  
Location: at the stage/performance area in Station XChange, a shopping center on Henry Ford Avenue (Georgia Route 144) Richmond Hill, GA.
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 56.667    W 081° 18.583
  31.94445    -81.30971666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Ways Station Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

In 1856, the Savannah, Albany & Gulf R.R. was built across the nearby Ogeechee River into Bryan County. Near this site a train depot was built, which came to be known as "Ways No. 1 ½" for William J. Way, the first station master and a local rice planter on lands through which the railroad passed. A settlement grew up in the section between the railroad tracks and the Crossroads just to the west. It came to be called Ways Station, a designation that lasted until 1941 when the name of the community was changed to Richmond Hill




Ways Station
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-C11