Historic Markers Across Georgia



Canaan Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 10872 Henry Ford Avenue at Pinecrest Ave, Richmond Hill
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 56.233    W 081° 18.167
  31.93721666    -81.30278333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Canaan Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The congregation of the Canaan Baptist Church, primarily African-American, was organized in 1913 by Rev. David Boles, Sr., who was pastor, and Brother Fred Gilbert, Deacon. It was the only organized denominational church in what is now Richmond Hill during the early 20th century. The present sanctuary was built with support from Henry Ford. Many of the original congregants of the church were descendants of the antebellum rice plantation slaves of nearby Cherry Hill and Silk Hope plantations.




Canaan Church
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-C12