Historic Markers Across Georgia



Guale Village at Seven-Mile Bend



Marker ID:  
Location: Fort McAllister near entrance at Ogeechee River
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 53.4    W 081° 12.05
  31.89    -81.20083333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Guale Village at Seven-Mile Bend Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Across the Ogeechee River from this point was the northernmost town of the Province of Guale, the village of Satuache. Spanish records place Satuache about 10 miles northeast of Guale's provincial capital at Mission Santa Catalina (St. Catherines Island). Indian artifacts at the Seven-Mile Bend attest to Guale activity in association with the Spanish mission of San Diego de Satuache. The Guale town and the Spanish mission there were abandoned ca. 1663. The name Ogeechee is Indian in origin and means River of the Uchee, ("seeing far away") for a village further north on the 245-mile long river. The Seven-Mile Bend site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.




Guale Village at Seven-Mile Bend
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-C14