Historic Markers Across Georgia



The "Bottom" Village



Marker ID:  
Location: Mimosa St at Henry Ford Ave (GA 144), Richmond Hill, GA
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 56.167    W 081° 18.133
  31.93611666    -81.30221666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
The "Bottom" Village Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The "Bottom" residential village, built in the mid-1930s, was the first housing project developed by Henry Ford for his employees in the Ways Station (later Richmond Hill) area. The name originated from the fact that the area had been a swamp or a "bottom" before Ford had it cleared and drained. There was a similar employee residential community on the Clyde Road just west of Ways Station called "Blueberry Village". In the Bottom there were 75 two-and-three-bedroom homes built for Ford's workers. Also in the development were a recreation building and a baseball field. No rent was charged employees until 1945 when Ford, acceding to Internal Revenue Service requirements, began charging the modest sum of $15 per month. Ford, in turn, raised their pay $15 per month to take care of the rent.




The "Bottom" Village
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-C17