Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHS 15-1
Location: 7236 Belfast Keller Rd, 8 miles E of Richmond Hill on Ga. 144, then right on Belfast-Keller Rd.
County: Bryan
Coordinates: N 31° 50.520    W 081° 15.674
  31.842    -81.26123
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1R0J
Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church Marker  



Text:

This church, the oldest congregation in lower Bryan County, was certified by the Presbytery of Georgia in 1830. Its founders included rice planters on Bryan Neck, among them Thomas Savage Clay, Richard James Arnold and George Washington McAllister. The first meeting house was constructed in 1839 three miles north of this site on the Bryan Neck Road. The current sanctuary, the oldest public building in Bryan County, was built in 1885 after the first building burned. The cemetery, known as Burnt Church Cemetery, remains at the original site and includes the graves of the church´s prominent early members.


Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church,
2001.11 and Richmond Hill Historical Society
15-1



 

Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church

Notes:

Erected 2012 by Coastal Bryan Heritage Trail

 

015-HS01