Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bulloch County



Marker ID: GHM 016-2B
Location: at the courthouse, Statesboro, GA
County: Bulloch
Coordinates: N 32° 26.969    W 081° 46.988
  32.449183    -81.78313
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7XY3
Bulloch County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Bulloch County was created by Act. of Feb. 8, 1776 from Bryan and Screven Counties. Originally, it contained part of Evans, Candler, Emanuel and Jenkins Counties. It was named for Archibald Bulloch (1730-1777), Revolutionary leader, elected Pres. of the Executive Council of Georgia, Jan. 20, 1776. He was first Provisional Governor of Georgia, Jan. 22, 1776 until his death, Feb. 22, 1777.

First Count officers, commissioned March 25, 1796, were: Charles McCall, Jr., Sheriff; Andrew E. Wells, Clerk Sup. Ct.; George Elliott, Clerk Inf. Ct.; Francis Wells, Register of Probate; James Bird, Surveyor; Garrott Williams, Coroner.

GHM 016-2B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



Bulloch County courthouse
Bulloch County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

016-2B