Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old River Road



Marker ID: GHM 016-4
Location: On Ga 119 1/4 mi NE of junction with 119-C near Ivanhoe
County: Bulloch
Coordinates: N 32° 17.140    W 081° 28.210
  32.28566666    -81.47016666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Old River Road  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The highway crossing here is the Old River Road, one of the earliest white man´s routes west of the Ogeechee. The State authorized the opening of this portion of the old thoroughfare in 1777. It followed the course of an Indian trail that led to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, below today´s Milledgeville. There it intersected the noted Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta to the Creek Indians of western Georgia. When Milledgeville became the capital, the old route became a leading vehicular way from Savannah.

GHM 016-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956




Old River Road
Photo by David Seibert



 

016-4