Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Savannah Road



Marker ID: GHM 016-5
Location: US 301 about 7 mi NE of Statesboro, 3/4 mile SE of Donegal
County: Bulloch
Coordinates: N 32° 32.751    W 081° 43.38
  32.54585    -81.723
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7ZHP
Old Savannah Road  Marker
Photo by Mike Stroud



Text:

The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee River. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, to the south of the present Milledgeville. There it connected with the main course of the noted Lower Creek Trading Path from Augusta to the Creek Indians of western Georgia. Opening of this lower stretch of the old road was authorized by the State in 1777. When Milledgeville was made the capital, the thoroughfare was extended to that place. Most of the original course remains in current use.

GHM 016-5 Georgia Historical Commission 1958




Old Savannah Road
Photo by Ken Moser



 

016-5