Historic Markers Across Georgia



Harville House



Marker ID:  
Location: (on Private Property) Harville Road just north of G. W. Oliver Rd, Statesboro, GA
County: Bulloch
Coordinates: N 32° 19.417    W 081° 46.525
  32.32361666    -81.77541666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Harville House Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Samuel Winkler Harville purchased this 754-acre farm in 1862. Born on December 17, 1826. Harville was one of two delegates Bulloch County sent to the 1861 Secession Convention in Milledgeville. He voted for Georgia to secede from the Union.

Samuel's son, Keebler Henry Harville, purchased the property and built the Harville House as a one- story house around 1894. The second story was added ten years later resulting in a total of 14 rooms to accommodate a growing family. The vernacular architectural features of the house were inspired by a dream of Keebler Harville. The lumber used was cut and sawn from timber grown on the farm. By the time of Keebler's death in 1946, the farm was self- sustaining for 10 families. It included a grist mill, saw mill, cotton gin, two story smoke–house, ice house, syrup house and a commissary. He was the first in Bulloch County to sell peanuts commercially and picked peanuts commercially for other farmers from Blitchton to Claxton. He purchased the first corn snapper in the county.

Harville Cemetery is located ¼ mile west of the house.

Sponsored by Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation




Harville House
Photo by David Seiber


Notes:

This marker is located on private property. The owner has asked that people do not go on their property, view from the roadside only.
The marker was erected by the Bulloch County Historical Society.

More Information:
History & Archaeology - Georgia Secession Convention of 1861
The NY Times - Drama in Milledgeville

 

016-A07