Historic Markers Across Georgia



1804 New Hope Methodist Church



Marker ID: UMC 19
Location: 9623 Ga Hwy 24, northeast of Statesboro , GA
County: Bulloch
Coordinates: N 32° 29.082    W 081° 37.152
  32.4847    -81.6192
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
1804 New Hope Methodist Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Organized from Union by Rev. Lewis Mayers, New Hope was Bulloch's second Methodist Church. 1804 trustees were David Kennedy, Josiah Everette, Jarvis Jackson, Burrell Whittington and William M. Kennedy: other leaders were Joseph Hodges, Eli Kennedy and Lydia Anciaux. Burke and Ohoopee Circuit records, oldest in South Georgia, were kept by these leaders. In 1806 William McGee Kennedy entered the itineracy; later William McCall Kennedy, F.M. Kennedy and H.A. Hodges. Leadership at home and in the connectional church distinguishes New Hope, preparing for her third century.

No 19 South Georgia Conference United Methodist Church 1998



New Hope Methodist Church
1804 New Hope Methodist Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

016-A18