Historic Markers Across Georgia



Upper Lotts Creek Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: on Rocky Ford Rd at Westside Rd, Portal, GA
County: Bulloch
Coordinates: N 32° 29.289    W 081° 58.376
  32.48815    -81.97293333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Upper Lotts Creek Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Organized circa 1829, the church was originally located at the home of Absolom Parrish and called Parrish meeting house. Following a fire of the log structure on the Parrish farm, the congregation built a second log structure one and one-half miles west on the bank of Big Lots Creek. The name was changed to Upper Lots Creek Primitive Baptist Church. The current church building was constructed in 1861.

The cemetery contains remains of Revolutionary War Soldiers Henry Parrish, John Tillman and Civil War Soldiers Theodore H. Griffin, Zachariah Taylor DeLoach, Robert William DeLoach, Ephraim H. Edenfield, Griffin W. Parrish and Henry Parrish.

The church and cemetery were listed in
the National Register of Historic Places
December 4, 2008




Upper Lotts Creek Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery
Photo by David Seibert



 

016-A21