Historic Markers Across Georgia



1790 Union Meeting House



Marker ID: UMC 14
Location: On Old River Road N, west of US 301, Statesboro, GA
County: Bulloch
Coordinates: N 32° 34.610    W 081° 46.034
  32.57683333    -81.76723333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
1790 Union Meeting House Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

In 1790, John Crawford and Phillip Mathews, Burke Circuit preacher, organized a Methodist Society in the home of Joshua Hodges, Sr. In 1791, Union Meeting House became the frequent entry in Circuit records. In 1794, Union Trustees obtained from Screven Land Court a warrant for 100 acres, granted by State in 1824 to Nathaniel Hodges. In 1880, Union, New Hope and Eureka provided an early rural parsonage. By 1890, Union had helped found eight other churches. In 1990, Union United Methodist Church built a fellowship Hall beside the 1894 frame church beginning of the third century of continuous service.

No 14 South Georgia Conference United Methodist Church 1990



1790 Union Meeting House
1790 Union Meeting House
Photo by David Seiber



 

016-A22