Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Quaker Road



Marker ID: GHM 017-1
Location: Ga 24 at the Burke-Screven County line
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 32° 56.186    W 081° 43.372
  32.93643333    -81.72286666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7WE0
Old Quaker Road  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This highway has been following closely the course of the Old Quaker Road, one of Georgia´s earliest vehicular thoroughfares. It was opened about 1769 to link Savannah, the colonial capital, with a Quaker settlement centering around Wrightsboro in today´s upper McDuffie County.

The Quaker Road was one of the longest and most important routes of the Province of Georgia. At this point the original way bore left for a stretch. It rejoins this road some miles to the north.

GHM 017-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954




Old Quaker Road
Photo by Ken Moser



 

017-1