Historic Markers Across Georgia



The 14th Corps at Lumpkin's Station



Marker ID: GHM 017-12
Location: 1/2 mile east of US 25 at Munnerlyn, GA
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 32° 57.2    W 081° 57.75
  32.95333333    -81.9625
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7W1G
The 14th Corps at Lumpkin's Station Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

On Dec. 3, 1864, after a hard march across Buckhead, Rocky Beaver Dam and Rosemary creeks from camps N. of Birdsville and W. of Buckhead Church, the 14th Corps [USA], Maj. Gen. Jeff. C. Davis, USA (less Baird´s division) camped at Lumpkin´s station (Munnerlyn). 0.6 miles E. on the Augusta and Savannah Railroad, Baird´s division, on the left of Gen. Sherman´s army as it moved toward Savannah, had marched via Rock Creek Church (5 miles S.W. of Waynesboro) to support Kilpatrick´s cavalry division [USA] in its attempt to burn the bridges over Brier Creek toward Augusta.

After forcing a passage of Rocky Creek the day before, and driving elements of Wheeler´s cavalry corps [CSA] toward Waynesboro, Baird and Kilpatrick had turned S.E. and, on the 3rd, were camped on the railroad below Waynesboro, with Baird at Thomas´ station (4 miles N.) and Kilpatrick a mile beyond him facing Wheeler.

Next morning Morgan´s division, which had camped on Rosemary Creek, in the rear, took the lead and marched S.E. on the Habersham road toward Jacksonboro with the artillery and trains. After destroying three miles of track, Carlin´s division followed, its rear guard (79th Pennsylvania Infantry) skirmishing sharply with persistent detachments of Confederate cavalry until withdrawn.

GHM 017-12 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1993



 

 

017-12