Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sherman's Left Wing



Marker ID: GHM 017-17
Location: Ga 24 at Alexander
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 33° 1.318    W 081° 52.594
  32.021966    -81.87656
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7VX0
Sherman's Left Wing Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On Dec. 4, 1864, Kilpatrick´s cavalry division [Union] of Gen. Sherman´s army, supported by two brigades of Baird´s infantry division of the 14th Corps, drove units of Wheeler´s cavalry corps [Confederate] out of Waynesboro and across Brier Creek in order to burn the bridges over that stream. Baird´s third brigade, with the division trains, remained at Thomas´ Station (6 miles S of Waynesboro) to finish destroying three miles of railroad, then marched to Alexander and encamped. It was joined here at dark by Baird and his other brigades.

Next day, Baird marched via Sardis to rejoin the 14th Corps, followed by Kilpatrick who had camped at Old Church on Quaker Road.

GHM 017-17 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958




Sherman's Left Wing
Photo by Ken Moser



 

017-17