Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sardis Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 124-21
Location: At 1120 Pine Street, in Sardis W of Ga 24
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 32° 58.189    W 081° 45.553
  32.969817    -81.75921666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7WDR
Sardis Baptist Church  Marker
Photo by Diana Boland



Text:

On Sept. 28, 1803, a group of men living in Burke County near Beech Branch Meeting House, "found to be in the true Baptist faith", by a presbytery of Rev. Henry Hand and Rev. John Ross, were constituted into one Body as a Baptist Church. A church covenant was adopted. William Thompson Sr. and Stephen Murray Sr. were made deacons. Original members were Stephen Murray Sr., William Thompson Sr., Thomas Tipton, William L. Mobley, Nicholas Thomas, Jeremiah Kimbal, Jacob Taylor Jr., Jacob Hollingsworth, Ephriam Davis, Jessey Pollock, Mary Murray, Elizabeth Tillis, and Ama Tipton. A new church was built on land given by William and G.W. Sapp and, in 1810, the name of the church became Sardis.

GHM 124-21 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



Sardis Baptist Church
Sardis Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

017-19