Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Quaker Road



Marker ID: GHM 017-2
Location: US 25 and Ga 24 junction in south part of Waynesboro, GA
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 32° 56.186    W 081° 43.372
  32.93643333    -81.72286666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7VWP
Old Quaker Road  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The highway bearing left is the Old Quaker road, on of Georgia´s earliest vehicular highways. It was opened about 1769 to provide a direct way from Savannah to a Quaker settlement centering around Wrightsboro in today´s upper McDuffie County.

The Quaker road was one of the longest and most important routes of colonial Georgia. Much of the original way remains in use.

GHM 017-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954




Old Quaker Road
Photo by Ken Moser



 

017-2