Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 017-4
Location: Williams and Myrick Streets, Waynesboro, GA, (east of US 25)
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 33° 5.626    W 082° 01.014
  33.09376666    -82.0169
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7VDB
First Presbyterian Church  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Scotch Presbyterians of St. George´s Parish, now Burke County, by 1760 had organized churches at Brier Creek, Old Church (formerly Episcopalian) and Walnut Branch. In 1771 Rev. Josiah Lewis became the first permanent pastor, sent by the Synod of New York and Philadelphia, the nearest Synod at that time. In 1810, after Waynesboro had become a town, the Brier Creek and Walnut Branch churches united, moved to town and formed this church. The present church building, dedicated in 1884, is the third on this site. Among the early ministers were Rev. John Boggs, Rev. E.B. Caldwell, Rev. S.K. Talmage.

GHM 017-4 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

017-4