Historic Markers Across Georgia



Burke County



Marker ID: GHM 017-6
Location: Courthouse in Waynesboro, GA
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 33° 5.422    W 082° 0.951
  33.09036666    -82.01585
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7VA8
Burke County  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Burke County, an original county, was created by the Const. of Feb. 5, 1777, from Creek Cession of May 30, 1733. In 1758, it had been organized as the Parish of St. George. Originally, it contained parts of Jefferson, Jenkins and Screven Counties. Burke County was named for Edmund Burke (1729-1797), writer, member of Parliament and eloquent defender of the cause of the colonies in America. Lemuel Lanier was commissioned Sheriff, Jan. 27, 1778. Thos. Burton, David Lewis, Nathan Hooker, Dan. McMurphy became Tax Collectors in 1778. Thos. Lewis, Jr., was made Surveyor Feb. 17, 1782. In 1787 John Davies was commissioned Clerk of Courts and John Duhart, Coroner.

GHM 017-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956




Burke County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

017-6