Historic Markers Across Georgia



Bark Camp Church



Marker ID: GHM 017-9A
Location: Ga 56 about 4 miles NE of Midville at Bark Camp Church Rd
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 32° 52.957    W 082° 12.074
  32.88261666    -82.20123333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7V7V
Bark Camp Church  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Constituted in the early part of 1788, Bark Camp Baptist Church was a center for culture and hospitality in Bark Camp, one of the oldest settlements in Burke County and a community of wealthy and prominent plantation owners. Among the 29 charter members were Miles Scarboro, its first pastor, Sila Scarboro, Zebulon Cock and probably John Allen. Ground for the church was given by John Cock. The first church was built of round logs; the next was of hewn logs; the third was a frame building. In 1848, a more attractive and larger building was erected.

GHM 017-9A Georgia Historical Commission 1956




Bark Camp Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

017-9A