Historic Markers Across Georgia



Washington's Southern Tour



Marker ID: GHS 017-1
Location: In front of Courthouse, Waynesboro, GA
County: Burke
Coordinates: N 33° 5.416    W 082° 0.948
  32.090266    -82.0158
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7VD8
Washington's Southern Tour Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Traveling from Savannah to Augusta on his Southern tour of 1791, President George Washington stopped in Waynesboro on May 17. Departing from Savannah two days earlier, Washington lodged at ´one Spencers´ in Effingham County, fifteen miles north of Nathanael Greene´s Mulberry Grove plantation. Journeying through modern-day Screven County the next day, he traveled six miles out of his way to visit the city named for General Anthony Wayne, who served with Washington during the Revolution. He noted the town´s ´6 or 8 dwelling houses´ and local efforts to ´establish an Academy.´ After spending the night in Waynesboro, Washington reached Augusta the following day.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, The Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Georgia, and The Sons of the Revolution in the State of Georgia
1999.20 17-1



Burke Co. Courthouse
Washington's Southern Tour
Photo by Ken Moser



 

017-HS1