Historic Markers Across Georgia



Butts County



Marker ID: GHM 018-1
Location: Courthouse in Jackson
County: Butts
Coordinates: N 33° 17.663    W 083° 58.028
  33.294383    -83.96713
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2DX5
Butts County  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature December 24, 1825, is named for Capt. Sam Butts killed in the Indian War of 1814 at the Battle of Chalibbee. At Indian Springs, now a State Park, were signed the Treaties with the Creeks giving Georgia respectively all lands between the Flint and Ocmulgee Rivers north to the Chattahoochee, and all the remaining Indian lands in the state. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Isaac Nolen, Clerk of Superior Court Abel L. Robinson, Clerk of Inferior Court Thomas Thornton, Coroner Sm. B. Smith and Surveyor Willie Terrell.

GHM 018-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

018-1