Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sylvan Grove Plantation



Marker ID:  
Location: 1050 McDonough Road, Jackson, GA
County: Butts
Coordinates: N 33° 18.211    W 083° 58.684
  33.30351666    -83.97806666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Sylvan Grove Plantation


Sylvan Grove Hospital site was originally part of a large colonial cotton plantation known as Sylvan Grove Plantation. This plantation was settled in 1817 by Williams Buttrill, Revolutionary soldier and aide to General George Washington. He was the first person to settle in this territory.

When Henry County was formed in 1823, it encompassed Sylvan Grove Plantation. Butts County was formed in 1825 from parts of Monroe and Henry counties. The portion of Henry County which became Butts County contained Sylvan Grove Plantation in its area.

Part of this land has always remained in the family. Twelve acres of the land was deeded to the Butts County Hospital Authority for the hospital site by Annadawn Watson Edwards, the great, great, granddaughter of Williams Buttrill, the Revolutionary soldier who is buried at Old Bethel Cemetery in Butts County.



 

 

018-A04