Historic Markers Across Georgia



Calhoun County



Marker ID: GHM  019-1
Location: Courthouse in Morgan
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 31° 32.243    W 084° 35.979
  31.537383    -84.59965
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBVZ3
Calhoun County  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This county, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 20, 1854, is named for John C. Calhoun, famed South Carolina Statesman, who resigned as Vice President of the United States in 1832 to return to the U.S. Senate and defend States Rights in debates with Daniel Webster. He served as Secretary of War (1817-25) and Secretary of State (1844-45)

First Calhoun County Officers were: Sheriff Wm. H. Pierce, Clerk Joseph W. Roberts, Ordinary Wm. S. Harris, Tax Receiver H.W. Wilkins, Tax Collector Kinion Strickland, Surveyor Charles Stewart and Coroner Amos Forehand.

GHM 019-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Calhoun County Courthouse
Calhoun County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

019-1