Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800



Marker ID: GHM 020-11
Location: Conyers Street east of Osborne Street, St. Marys
County: Camden
Coordinates: N 30° 43.484    W 081° 32.81
  30.724733    -81.54683
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4GTJ
St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800  Marker  



Text:

This church is the oldest religious organization in the city, although not the oldest church building. George Clark served as the first missionary to the people here in 1792. John Garvin was the first appointed Pastor to St. Marys in 1799. Methodist services were first held in the building erected for a Courthouse. In 1812 the City of St. Marys deeded Methodists a lot 200 x 200 ft., still in use at this time. Church built after 1812 was in use until a few years before the Civil War when the old church moved to another site and given to the Negro Methodists. Present church was built before the Civil War. While St. Marys was occupied by Federal troops in 1862, this church was used as a Quartermaster´s Dept. where animals were butchered. A deed was granted the church in1878. The building was renovated on several occasions. Between 1792-1955, 103 Pastors have served the church. It was the first charge of Bishop Arthur J. Morre in 1909.

GHM 020-11 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

020-11