Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tabby Sugar Works of John Houstoun McIntosh



Marker ID: GHM 020-12
Location: Ga 40 Spur 2.9 miles north of Ga 40 at Kings Bay Sub Base
County: Camden
Coordinates: N 30° 47.592    W 081° 34.639
  30.7932    -81.57731
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4G0N
Tabby Sugar Works of John Houstoun McIntosh  Marker  



Text:

These are the ruins of a tabby sugar works built by John Houston McIntosh at New Canaan PLantation soon after 1825. In hiss sugar house McIntosh installed what was, according to Thomas Spalding, the first horizontal cane mill worked by cattle power.

McIntosh, born in 1773 in what is now McIntosh COunty , settled in East Florida as a young man and became a leader of a group of American citizens who, during the War of 1812, plotted the annexation of East FLorida to the United States. This plot crushed by the Spanish government, McIntosh removed to Georgia and acquired two plantations in Camden County, Marian, where he built a home, and New Canaan, where he began the cultivation of sugar cane under the influence of Thomas Spalding, who had experimented in sugar production and seen the use of steam-propelled horizontal cane mills in Louisiana.

After McIntosh´s death in 1836, New Canaan was sold to one Col. Hallowes, who changed the name of the plantation to Bollingbrook and lived there until after the Civil War. During the war, Hallowes planted cane and made sugar in the McIntosh sugar house. He also used the tabby sugar works as a starch factory, producing arrowroot starch in large quantitites.

GHM 020-12 Georgia Historical Commission 1963



 

 

020-12